b. Maintenance The operating parts illustrated in
hooked over the draw hook of the other car; tightening of
the lever tightens the screw and draws up the screw
coupling The coupling is tightened until all slack is
maintenance The following steps are taken in the
removed. The face of each buffer on the car should then
inspection of this type coupler:
be in contact with the face of the corresponding buffer on
(1) Visually inspect the operating parts of the
the other car. When the train is started or running, the
coupler to see that they are not cracked or broken.
screw coupling carries the pulling load. In running,
(2) Test uncoupling device for proper operation.
stopping, and starting, the buffers protect the cars and
(3) Check all visible parts of the draft gear for
lading by obstructing any jolts and shocks and preventing
cracks or damage
the cars from running together (the function of the draft
(4) Measure coupler height. Centerline of coupler
gear in U. S. type equipment). On curves, the buffers on
should be 41 inches from top of rail. Buffer centerline
the side of the cars on the inside of the curve are passed
must measure 42 inches from top of rail.
farther into the housing The buffers on the outside of the
(5) Inspect friction buffers and transition screw
cars extend from the housing because of the pressure
device for loose, missing, or cracked parts.
exerted by the springs, thus they steady the car during
runs. To uncouple, the screw coupling lever must be
c. Removal and Disassembly. The Willison type
loosened by loosening the screw until there is sufficient
coupler is removed from a car in the following manner:
slack to lift the shackle off the draw hook.
(1) Disconnect uncoupling rigging
(2) Support coupler weight and remove coupler
support from coupler by removing the four holding nuts
(3) Remove the coupler pivot pin retaining key
through the cut-out hole provided in the side of the
coupler and drop out the pin.
a. General. The Willison coupler, used in some
(4) Disconnect coupler from draft gear yoke and
oversea areas, is an automatic coupler which works on
pull out to remove.
the same general principles as the standard AAR coupler
(5) Remove thrower arm bolt and nut
used in the United States. It has one marked difference,
(6) Remove thrower, lock, and filler block.
that of being capable of coupling to the continental
(7) Clean and inspect all parts for serviceability.
Europe Standard hook-and-link coupling by means of a
transition device, the standard clevis and screw discussed
figure 7-7, include the following: friction buffer (1);
(1) Replace all damaged or worn parts.
Willison coupler (2); buffer spacer (3); coupler support (4);
(2) Assemble and install parts in reverse order of
draft gear and yoke (5); and transition device (6). The
operating parts of two types of Willlison coupler are
(3) Gage coupler height when installation In the
car has been completed. Adjust as required.