Preloading Car Inspection Criteria.
This includes but is not
limited to, the following:
- Air and hand brakes must be serviceable.
- Brake shoes must be at least 3/8-inch thick, and in safe
and suitable condition for service.
- Journal boxes must be properly packed, oiled, and
Trucks and springs must be in good condition.
Bearing wedges must not be bent, cracked, or broken.
Boxcars must be equipped with roller bearings.
- Coupling and hoses must be in good condition.
- Spark shields must meet safety requirements which include
no holes or decayed metal; and no accumulation of oil,
grease, or other debris which could support combustion.
- Door runners and channels must be inspected for damage.
If door gaps cannot be sealed by stripping, the car will
- Placard holders and doorkeepers must be installed in the
- Cargo space in cars must be swept clean before loading,
- Roofs with holes or decay will be rejected.